If you’re looking for an exciting and rewarding career, there are many options and opportunities out there. Whether you’re finishing high school and just starting out, or you are looking for a change after being in the workforce for a few years, the world is at your fingertips. Never think you are too old to go back to school! It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old, you can get the education and training you want for a new career.
Two rewarding and satisfying careers you might want to consider are an esthetician and an occupational therapist. Both can pay extremely well and are great choices for people who love to help others.
Estheticians keep their clients looking their best – and beauty is big business! An esthetician makes their money by giving people skin treatments, providing hair removal services, and other treatments to help their clients looking good and boosting their self-esteem. Salaries vary greatly and can increase exponentially if you open your own business, or become specialized in a certain area, such as microdermabrasion.
- Johnson County Community College, Overland Park Kansas: A personal interview, physical exam and written exam are required for admission. This advanced program offers a mix of practical and theoretical study.
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Lexington, Kentucky: The entire course can be completed in three semesters, with five to six courses each semester. Salon management is included in the curriculum for those who are interested in business ownership.
- Cape Fear Community College, Wilmington NC: Offers both the Esthetics Technology Certificate and an Esthetics Technology Instructor Certificate for those interested in teaching.
- Clover Park Technical College, Lakewood WA: This four-quarter associate’s degree involves more than 1,200 hours of technical instruction.
Occupational therapists work with people of all ages to help them with their mental, social or physical disabilities, so they can live independently and carry out everyday tasks. Responsibilities include developing treatment programs, advising on home environmental alterations, advising on assisted living equipment, teaching anxiety management techniques and coaching people with poor social skills or learning disabilities.
- Boston University, Boston Massachusetts: This University offers one of the best programs for occupational therapy. Statistics show that there was a 98.3% pass rate for students who attended the program and went on to write the National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). This attests to the quality that this University offers.
- Washington University, St. Louis Missouri: 97% of graduate students pass the NBCOT exam. Faculty in the occupational therapy program are all leaders in the field. Students can choose from over 500 sites across the country for fieldwork assignments.
- Colorado University, Fort Collins Colorado: Several degree options are available at this world-renowned University.
- Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia PA: The program includes options for family and child integration, elder care and a sensory integration lab.
Both estheticians and occupational therapists enjoy their careers because they know they are helping people in their everyday lives – by keeping them beautiful and by helping them achieve a level of self-confidence and independence.